I’ll admit it; I am hooked on bodyweight exercises. I have been working out for 2 decades, rotating through dozens of different workout fads, but one aspect to my workout programs that have always been consistent are the use of bodyweight exercises.
I never really thought about why bodyweight exercises were so important to me until I started marketing my fitness product Strength Stack 52 (currently launching on Kickstarter). Now, all the importance aspects of bodyweight exercises have become clear. If you exercise regularly and don’t incorporate bodyweight exercises, here is what you’re missing:
- Dual purpose workouts- It’s easy to mix strength training exercises with cardio exercises.
- Efficient workouts –Reduce the time spent loading barbells, adjusting machines and driving to a gym.
- Burn that fat, fast – Just a few minutes of exercise increases your metabolic rate, which allows your body to burn more calories throughout the day.
- Accessibility- any age or skill level can do them.
- Improved core strength- Most people don’t know that the core area comprises more than just abs. The core actually makes up almost 30 muscles and bodyweight exercises can improve them all.
- Gumby like flexibility- With a full range of motion, bodyweight exercises are a great way to keep joints limber.
- Convenience- The number one excuse for not working out is a lack of time. With bodyweight exercises, no time is no excuse.
- Better balance- Since no weights are used, you are using your body as balance to complete the exercises.
- Reduced boredom- With hundreds of bodyweight exercises you can do just about anywhere, there is little chance you could get bored compared to sitting in a machine doing the exact same movement over and over.
- Fun- There are many ways you can compete with other people to challenge yourself to push out more exercises and reps.
- Cheap- No need for gym memberships!
- Injury prevention- Usually safe as you won’t drop a weight or bar on yourself and the movements are usually quite simple.
- Plateau breaker- If you are at the gym and want to add variety to your workouts, it’s easy to turn a normal set into a super set with bodyweight exercises.
As you can see, bodyweight exercises are a necessary step to progress a workout routine at any skill level.
This article was authored by Sergeant Michael Volkin, inventor of Strength Stack 52 bodyweight fitness cards.